Home > Recordable Media
Inspiring confidence. Earning loyalty.
Sony takes recording seriously. After all, we manufacture more than the recording media: we build the entire recording system. Media has always been an indispensible component of Sony's industry-changing formats. And recording media plays a fundamental role in the reliability of our recording systems. In addition, Sony Professional Media is backed by a team of sales, marketing and technical professionals, all supporting you from acquisition to archive.
Sony's Media Rewards Program is amazing.
Use your Sony Professional Media and Sony Storage Media purchases to earn dollars towards valuable rewards, including Sony consumer and professional electronics, gift cards, reimbursement on Sony professional parts and services and even reimbursement on rentals of Sony recorders. Participation is easy.
Pro Media Videos
See our educational videos here…
The Tale of Tape.
Some workflows require one medium for capturing images, a second one for transfer to post, a third for delivery and a fourth for archiving when the project is done. Tape does it all. And does it extremely well.
- Low cost per minute. Tape remains the most economical recording media option, especially compared to recording onto flash memory.
- Proven reliability. Archival hard drives can freeze, especially after extended storage. Drives can also crash. Either calamity jeopardizes your valuable content. Properly stored, tape can perform superbly, even after an estimated 30 years of storage.
- Wide acceptance. When the choice is tape, from broadcasters to post and rental houses, more professionals prefer Sony for shooting, dubbing, on-air playback and archiving.
- Outstanding recording characteristics. Analog to digital to digital HD, Sony Pro Media delivers performance that can best be described as state of the art.
Acquisition, post production, mastering, on air playback or archive, Sony's proven advanced tape technology does it all.
Professional Disc media: the best of both worlds.
The XDCAM® Professional Disc™ system gives you the efficient workflow of file-based recording and the comfort, reliability and predictability of a medium that you can exchange like tape. One media efficiently supports a comprehensive workflow from shooting and editing to distribution and archiving.
- Blue-violet laser technology is extraordinary. The XDCAM Professional Disc system is built around non-contact recording and playback with Sony lasers and Sony disc media. This results in high transfer speeds and long recording times. The original 23 GB* single-layer disc (PFD23A/3) was followed by the dual-layer 50 GB* version (PFD50DLA/3) which holds up to 95 minutes of material at best quality (50 Mbps). These two are soon to be joined by a 128 GB* write-once quad-layer disc (PFD128QLW) which holds up to 240 minutes at 50 Mbps.
- Sophisticated, comprehensive workflow. The XDCAM system provides you the advantages of both conventional VTR operation and cutting edge IT features such as high speed data transmission and proxy A/V data management. With these advantages, you can enjoy a highly sophisticated, comprehensive workflow for your content.
- Format flexibility. Depending on the feature set of your recorder, Professional Disc™ media can capture a wide range of video formats, including DVCAM® and MPEG IMX® standard definition as well as XDCAM HD and XDCAM MPEG HD422. Select decks even enable you to use the entire disc capacity for writing data files of any type.
- Quick random access with near-line storage. One of the great benefits of optical disc is instant access to your clip.
- Superb durability. The robust, shell-shaped cartridge protects the Professional Disc media from fingerprints, dust, shock and scratches. Inside the recorder, non-contact laser optical reading and writing can achieve amazing reliability, including an estimated 1,000 read/write/erase cycles and fifty years of archival life.
* 1 GB = 1 billion bytes. Actual formatted capacity will be less.
|Download the Sony Professional Disc Spec Sheet PDF|
The leader in flash media for professional HD acquisition.
The SxS® name has quickly become synonymous with high transfer speeds and reliability. From the moment they were introduced, Sony SxS Memory Cards have inspired and delighted even the most skeptical and seasoned professionals. These industrial-grade solid-state memory cards are the number one flash media choice for professional HD acquisition.
- Incredibly small and lightweight. What was previously unthinkable is now possible, thanks to flash media recording. The memory cards are so small, you can carry hours of high definition recording in your shirt pocket. And smaller media with no moving parts contributes to a new generation of far smaller, lighter camcorders.
- Increased capacity with 128 GB SxS-1 cards. PRO+ C Series and SxS-1 G1B Series cards offering 2X the transfer rate of previous cards so there's less time wasted ingesting, more time for editing. Also, Sony's latest SxS-1 cards increases capacity to 128 GB*, which translates to 400 minutes of recording at the best quality (HQ mode, 35 Mbps). Both series support EB Streaming between card and Sony camcorders enabling constant 2 way communication and insuring stable recording while avoiding speed degradation.
- Compatible with the ExpressCard® interface. While other media cards use outmoded PC interfaces, the SxS media uses the contemporary PCI Express interface featured in both Windows® and Mac® OS computers.
- Phenomenal resistance to shock and vibration. Solid state media with no moving parts is a recipe for the ultimate in shock resistance. The Sony SxS-1 and SxS-PRO™ media withstands up to 1500 G of shock or 15 G vibration. It's more than you'd want to inflict on any camcorder (or camera operator).
- Reliably copy your SxS content in the field with Sony's PSZ Series Portable Storage Drives. These drives are available in 500GB to 1TB capacities and now available with Thunderbolt ports. The best thing next to your XDCAM EX™ camcorder is Sony's super-efficient PSZ drives. Use them to copy your content onto ruggedized, professional hard disk drive cartridges allowing you to "wipe" the card for re-use. You can then reliably transport them to a PC for editing or ingest in an NLE. Click here to learn more about PRO HDDs.
SxS media workflow.
As the XDCAM EX systems have gained popularity, it's also attracted new and exciting workflow possibilities. These now include direct ingest from the camcorder and copying SxS cards in the field onto Sony's PSZ Series Portable Storage Units.
Media Sales Office
1 Sony Drive
Park Ridge, NJ 07656
Media Recovery and Technical Support
Sony Media Services
Building B, Suite 100
11302 East Point Drive
Laredo, TX 78045
Sony Professional Services & Programs
Lower costs, increase control and maximize uptime with Sony, a leader in Professional Services.
Media Warranty Information
Have a problem with your camera or tape deck?
Cameras - Production products are serviced in both our Eastern and Western Services Facilities.
Eastern Service Facility
Sony Electronics Customer Service
123 W. Tryon Ave.
Teaneck, NJ 07666
Western Service Facility
Sony Electronics Customer Service
2706 Media Center Dr., Suite 130
Los Angeles, CA 90065