Pick it up. Wrap your hand around the sculpted Smart Grip. Line up a shot. You’ll immediately understand why Sony created the PXW-FS5. It’s the next step in Sony’s handheld revolution. Small as it is, the camera delivers uncompromising performance with Sony’s Super35 sensor, 4K onboard recording and wireless streaming. And with free Version 4.02 firmware available August 2017, the FS5 continues to achieve new heights. Possibilities include Hybrid Log Gamma for “Instant HDR” production and continuous 120p Full HD capture (with CBKZ-FS5HFR, sold separately). These enhancements join external RAW recording (with CBKZ-FS5RIF and RAW recorder, both sold separately). The PXW-FS5. Just wait until you get your hands on it.
Download the brochure
Second-generation Smart Grip
Handheld comfort is not simply a matter of weight. It's also a question of balance. Of positive grip with your right hand. Of high-angle, low-angle and in-between shots. That's what made the rotating Smart Grip of Sony's FS7 such a success. And that's why Sony's engineers designed an innovative version of the Smart Grip for the FS5. To vary your point of view, it pivots through a range of angles. To enhance your control, it incorporates assignable buttons, an assignable dial and a joystick. And to promote ideal front-rear balance, you can attach an industry-standard rosette to use with Sony's FS7 telescoping arm or third-party accessories (rosette, arm and accessories all sold separately).
"Zion," shot on the FS5 by DP Rob W. Scribner
Watch the launch movie
4K Super 35
Sony is the world leader* in image sensors. And it shows. The FS5 delivers formidable exposure latitude with 14 stops of dynamic range. And beautiful color. And high sensitivity. And stunning 4K resolution. Of course, the Super35 format also gives you the shallow depth of field so important in cinematic storytelling. And the sensor performs beautifully with Sony's established S-Log2 and S-Log3 encoding and S-Gamut3.cine mode.
4K XAVC™ L recording on board
If you want to capture 4K, the camera offers built-in 3840 x 2160 recording. And while the resolution is phenomenal, the bit rates are reasonable. Thanks to Sony's advanced XAVC™ L codec, you can capture 4K at a modest 100 Mbps (maximum). So you're not over-burdening your memory cards, your desktop storage or your network. Of course, the XAVC L codec can also capture beautiful 1080p HD, with rich 4:2:2 color and nuanced 10-bit grayscale – all at an extremely affordable 25, 35 or 50 Mbps.
Learn more about XAVC codec.
Outboard RAW recording with the
The ultimate camera capture system would record every nuance of light and shadow from the image sensor, preserving every detail from every pixel for full exploitation in color correction. This is the concept behind RAW recording. To keep the camera small, light and ultra-portable, Sony engineers designed linear RAW recording as an outboard function. The PXW-FS5 enables RAW recording with the CBKZ-FS5RIF software license, sold separately, which requires free version 2.0 or higher firmware. The camera records to Sony’s own AXS-R5 RAW recorder equipped with the HXR-IFR5 interface unit, both sold separately. The FS5 also works with compatible third-party external recorders. You can get simultaneous RAW and XAVC® HD (1920 x 1080) internal recording, continuous 4K (4096 x 2160) RAW at up to 59.94 fps and continuous 2K RAW at up to 240 fps. In addition, the CBKZ-FS5RIF supports four seconds of burst mode 4K RAW at up to 120 fps.
Changing exposure forever:
Electronic Variable ND Filter
Users are calling our Electronic Variable ND Filter, “an absolute game changer,” “the smartest thing I’ve seen in a camera,” and saying “every camera needs this.” Unlike Aperture, Shutter or even Gain controls, Variable ND will not affect other aspects of your image. And unlike conventional wheels with fixed ND filters, the system can seamlessly vary incoming light during a shot. Our filter adjusts in quarter-stop increments from 1/4 ND (2 stops of filtration) to 1/128 ND (7 stops) and offers Auto ND capability. As our online videos demonstrate, the possibilities are endless.
960 fps Super Slow Motion
When you shoot at 960 frames per second, everyday actions take on poetic elegance. You reveal the beauty of a world that's hidden right before our eyes. The PXW-FS5 takes you there. Operating in burst mode, you can capture 1080p HD at up to 240 fps and up to 960 fps at reduced resolution. Cache recording time varies according to your selected frame rate.
Continuous 120p Full HD with the CBKZ-FS5HFR license
Out of the box, the FS5 achieves up to 60 fps continuous shooting with Full HD XAVC L recording. Sony is dramatically doubling that with Version 4.02 firmware, available August 2017, and the CBKZ-FS5HFR software license, sold separately.
"Instant HDR" with Hybrid Log Gamma
High Dynamic Range enthralls audiences with more vibrant images, brighter peak highlights and deeper shadows. With Version 4.02 firmware, available August 2017, the FS5 rises to the challenge with Hybrid Log Gamma (HLG). Based on research from the NHK and BBC television networks and standardized by the ITU as part of Rec BT.2100, HLG is a signal that captures the higher dynamic range of modern 4K image sensors. It has the further advantage of providing a level of backward compatibility with Standard Dynamic Range (SDR) TVs while providing an HDR image when displayed on TV sets that support the new HLG EOTF (Electro-Optical Transfer Function).
Sony's 18-105mm E-Mount servo zoom
While Sony's E-Mount system provides a world of lens choices, Sony's 18-105mm servo zoom (SEL-P18105G) does what still-image lenses do not. The precision servo provides smoother zoom than you could accomplish by hand. Meticulous optical design maintains axial image consistency across the zoom range. Constant F4 aperture eliminates unwanted exposure changes during a zoom. Sony's image stabilization reduces the effects of camera shake. And internal zoom means the front of the lens does not extend, so it will not interfere with your matte box.
Built-in wireless streaming
Whether you need wireless remote control from an Android® or iOS® device, wireless streaming to a client monitor or wireless file transfers to editorial, the PXW-FS5 is beautifully equipped. RJ-45 Ethernet connector, Wi-Fi and Near Field Communication (NFC) are built in. And the camera streams wirelessly to compatible third-party MPEG TS receivers and computers.
Quick-connect wireless audio
The camera’s Multi-Interface “MI” Shoe provides quick-connect, cable-free attachment with Sony’s UWP-D series wireless microphone receivers, sold separately. You’re instantly connected for audio and power. And the URX-P03D two-channel receiver delivers exceptional sound for a full range of projects.
Go behind the scenes
Cinematographers discuss the FS5
Designing the FS5: Hear from Sony's engineers
PXW-FS5 handheld Super 35 4K camera
- Super 35 Exmor® CMOS image sensor with 14 stops of dynamic range and 8.8 million effective pixels (17:9)
- Pivoting, detachable Smart Grip (supplied) can be used with industry-standard rosette, Sony's FS7 telescoping arm and third-party accessories, all sold separately
- Up to 960 fps Super Slow Motion with high sensitivity; burst mode recording at up to 60 fps in 4K, 240 fps in HD, 480 fps at reduced resolution and 960 fps at reduced-resolution Center Crop; recording time varies by frame rate
- Continuous 120p capture in Full HD with free Version 4.02 firmware, available August 2017 and CBKZ-F5HFR license, sold separately
- On-board 4K recording at 3840 x 2160 resolution with Sony's XAVC™ Long codec
- Outboard 4K/2K RAW recording at 4096 x 2160 and 2048 x 1080 with Sony’s CBKZ-FS5RIF software license and a compatible RAW recorder, both sold separately
- S-Log3, S-Log2 and S-Gamut3.Cine help retain graceful highlights and extended shadow detail with accurate color reproduction
- 3.5-inch LCD monitor (viewable area, measured diagonally) flexibly adapts to shooting style and angle; mounts on three locations on the handle and six locations on the camera body
- Sony's E-Mount system compatible with E-Mount servo zooms, manual zooms and primes; A-Mount lenses (via Sony's adapters); PL mount lenses (via third-party adapters); and other SLR and rangefinder lenses (via third-party adapters)
- Electronic Variable Neutral Density Filter, a first in Super35 imaging, enables you to blur the background even in sunlight; also offers three user presets
- Auto ND smoothly adjusts exposure to maintain depth of field, even as light conditions change; enables auto exposure with third-party lenses; empowers you with creative Depth of Field pulls
- Clear Image Zoom uses advanced image processing to double the effective focal length of your lens; a 12x zoom effectively becomes 24x
- Center Scan mode captures the center of the image at Full HD (1920 x 1080) resolution. Not only does this provide an effective 2x zoom with 35mm glass, but it also enables you to mount 16mm PL lenses via third-party adapters
- Face Detection AF and Focus Magnifier assist in run & gun shooting; help to maintain critical focus, a particular advantage in 4K capture
- XAVC™ Long recording for 4K (3840 x 2160 at up to 30p) and Full HD (1920 x 1080 at up to 60p); advanced encoding technology retains superb picture quality at affordable bit rates (up to 50 Mbps in HD, up to 100 Mbps in 4K); beautiful 4:2:2 color and nuanced 10-bit grayscale in Full HD
- "Instant HDR" with Hybrid Log Gamma curve developed by the BBC and NHK and standardized in ITU Rec BT.2100 with free Firmware 4.02, available August 2017. Easy postproduction and compatibility with both HDR and SDR displays.
- Gamma Display Assist function for natural looking viewfinder images in Hybrid Log Gamma mode
- XAVC proxy recording captures frame-accurate lightweight proxy video suitable for faster file transfers and convenient file sharing
- AVCHD® recording for compatibility with legacy editing systems
- MPEG HD recording/playbackwith CBKZ-SLMP, sold separately
- Simultaneous/Individual Recording enables you to capture backup recordings on the second media card
- Simultaneous 4K recording on internal and external recorder (sold separately) with free firmware upgrade 1.1 or higher
- Wireless Android® and iOS® remote control via the free Content Browser Mobile app
- NFC one-touch communication with compatible wireless devices
- Wireless streaming to compatible MPEG TS receivers and computers for convenient, remote image monitoring
- Wireless file transfers of full-resolution assets via Wi-Fi® router to an FTP server
- Wired LAN connection via built-in RJ-45 interface, for more robust network operations
- Multi-Interface Shoe (MI Shoe) supports accessories including Sony’s HVL-LBPC video light and UPW-D Series wireless mic body pack transmitter, plug-on transmitter, wireless handheld mic/transmitter, receivers and packages (all sold separately)
- 0.39-inch OLED viewfinder (viewable area, measured diagonally) with large eye cup
- 1/4-inch screw holes on the camera top, bottom and handle accommodate third-party accessories
- BP-U30 rechargeable battery and BC-U1 battery charger included
- Two SD memory card slots with Memory Stick® card capability in Slot A
- Complete interfaces include 3G-SDI, HDMI® jack, two XLR connectors, LANC remote control, USB, MI Shoe, DC input and RJ-45 LAN connector
- Catalyst Browse software included (free download)
PXW-FS5 firmware upgrades
Sony is protecting your investment in the PXW-FS5 through a roadmap of firmware upgrades that add useful functions. This extends your creative reach without forcing you to buy a new camera.
Version 4.02 (August 2017)
- Continuous 120 fps Full HD with CBKZ-FS5HFR, sold separately.
- "Instant HDR" with the Hybrid Log Gamma curve developed by the BBC and NHK and standardized in ITU Rec BT.2100. Easy postproduction and compatibility with both HDR and SDR displays.
- Gamma Display Assist function for natural looking viewfinder images in Hybrid Log Gamma mode.
- ISO 2000 in S-Log modes to match FS7 Series cameras.
Version 3.0 (November 2016)
- MPEG HD recording/playback with CBKZ-SLMP, sold separately.
- Supports RM-30BP Remote Commander® control unit.
Version 2.0 (June 2016)
- External 4K/2K RAW recording with the CBKZ-FS5RIF software license, sold separately; requires a compatible RAW recorder, also sold separately.
- >Auto ND adjusts the electronic Neutral Density (ND) filter to accommodate variations in scene lighting, enabling you to maintain iris setting and depth of field.
Version 1.1 (January 2016)
- Simultaneous 4K recording enables 3840 x 2160 recording on the internal cards and on an external recorder connected via HDMI® output. Coordinated start/stop and time code for both recordings.
Version 1.0 (October 2015)
- Dual recording captures identical content onto separate SD cards; can also capture full-resolution main video and lower-resolution proxy video on a single card. Coordinated start/stop, time code and file names for both recordings.
- Simultaneous HD recording enables 1920 x 1080 recording on the internal cards and on an external recorder connected via HDMI® or SDI output. Coordinated start/stop and time code for both recordings.
- Outboard 4K (3840 x 2160) recording via HDMI output (8-bit sampling, 4:2:2 color)
For USA Customers who need help with product operations or firmware updates, please contact the Product Operation Support Center at 800-883-6817. Telephone support is available Monday through Friday 10 am to 6 pm EST, excluding Sony Holidays.